Borlotti Bean Minestrone
From the Yummly website
Please note that the measurements have been converted from cups to grammes, so you may wish to alter slightly to your liking.
2 tbsps olive oil
3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 onions (medium)
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley (chopped)
2 celery ribs (chopped)
3 carrots (chopped)
3 potatoes (chopped)
150g / 1 cup borlotti beans fresh or dried (if dried, soak overnight / or pinto or kidney beans)
2 x 400g tinned tomatoes (with their juice, chopped)
1 parmesan cheese (rind)
1 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (plus more to taste)
300g / 2 cups peas
1 head savoy cabbage (finely sliced)
190g / 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
6 sage leaves (fresh, coarsley chopped)
10 fresh basil leaves (coarsley chopped)
freshly grated parmesan (for serving)
- Heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat in a large soup pot and add the garlic, onion, parsley, celery, carrots, and potatoes. Stir for a couple of minutes to coat the vegetables with oil.
- Add the borlotti beans, tomatoes, parmesan rind, and 4.5 pints / 2.4 litres / 10 cups of water, and bring the water to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, and let the soup simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the rice and peas and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the sage and basil and serve immediately. Top each bowl with an extra bit of parmesan.
You may wish to initially reduce the amount of water added and then add more if you fel it is necessary.