Salad of Shaved Radish, Apple and Fennel
Taken from The Telegraph
For the dressing
1 tsp grain mustard
1½ tsp runny honey
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 tsp cider vinegar
8 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad
30 French breakfast radishes, trimmed
2 fennel bulbs
1 small red onion
1 small red apple
1 small green apple
Handful of mint leaves, torn
- Put the mustard, honey, garlic, vinegar and some seasoning into a cup and whisk in the oil in a steady stream. Check the seasoning (the salad has quite a bit of lemon in it so don't make it too sharp).
- Slice the radishes wafer-thin lengthways to make teardrop-shaped slices. Place in a bowl.
- Quarter the fennel and remove any coarse outer leaves. Trim the tips, reserving any tufty fronds. Cut out the core. Using a very sharp, fine-bladed knife or mandolin, slice the fennel lengthways very thinly. Add to the radishes and squeeze on some lemon juice.
- Cut the onion as finely as possible (best on a mandolin).
- Halve the apples, core and cut into matchstick-like lengths. Add to the bowl with the onions, and squeeze on more lemon. Chop any fennel fronds and add with the mint. Toss with dressing and serve.