From Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course
4 fresh eggs
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp hot chilli powder
½ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp oregano
few drops of tabasco
400g tin tomatoes or 450g peeled fresh tomatoes
110g grated cheddar cheese
freshley chopped parsley
salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry the chopped onion, pepper and garlic gently for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chilli and cumin powders and add the oregano along with a few drops of tabasco. Mix thoroughly and then add the tomatoes.
- Turn up the heat a bit and let the mixture cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick pulp. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Carefully break the eggs into the pan on top of the mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese all over the eggs and cover the pan with a close-fitting lid or a suitably sized plate. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.