Roast Parsnip Soup with Cheese and Onion Croutons
Taken from The Cornish Sea Salt Co.
For the soup:
1 large onion
1 garlic clove
2 pints of chicken or vegetable stock
Sea Salt and Luxury Pepper
For the croutons:
8 slices of baguette
100g Gruyere cheese
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
A pinch of hot paprika
1 tsp Onion Sea Salt
1 egg yolk
- Peel and roughly chop the parsnips then place in a roasting pan adding a generous glug of cooking oil. Season well with Sea Salt and Luxury Pepper and jiggle the pan to coat the parsnips.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180 ̊c until the parsnips are turning golden.
- Roughly chop the onion and garlic and fry gently in a heavy bottomed pan until soft and starting to colour.
- Add the roasted parsnips and stock. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Season to taste.
For the croutons
- Combine the grated cheese with the egg yolk, paprika, parsley and Onion Sea Salt.
- Toast the baguette slices on one side under the grill, turn them over and spread with the cheese and onion mixture. Return to the grill and cook until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a crouton either on the top or on the side.