Kale and White Bean Soup
Taken from the Real Simple website
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
salt and black pepper
2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed
120g small soup pasta, such as orzo
1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
60g shaved Parmesan, plus 1 piece rind (optional)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 loaf country bread, warmed
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, celery, onion, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the beans, pasta, kale, rosemary, 1.9 litres of water, and Parmesan rind (if using). Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the pasta and kale are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the Parmesan rind. Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan before serving.
- Serve with the bread.