Locro de Trigo - Thick Mutton Soup
From 'Casserole Cooking' by Jennie Reekie
A recipe from the Argentine, this is rather like a very thick soup and makes a complete meal with French bread.
The original recipe uses stewing steak, but we prefer it made with mutton.
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
600g shoulder of mutton, finely diced
2 tsp paprika
2 pints of lamb stock
3 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
200g chorizo, sliced
100g dried butter beans, soaked overnight and drained
198g can of sweetcorn, drained
salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C / 300°F / Gas 2.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions, pepper and beef for 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika and the stock.
- Add the bacon, chorizo and butter beans to the pan.
- Pour into a casserole dish, cover, and cook for 2½hours.
- Add the corn and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.