Roast Pheasant with White Wine and Charlotte Potatoes
Sea salt and black pepper
2 pheasants (young hens are best)
1 pack (100g or 31⁄2oz) pancetta lardons
1 red onion, peeled and cut into thin rings
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped into slithers
2 juniper berries crushed with a few black peppercorns
700g (241⁄2oz) charlotte potatoes, cut on the diagonal into 3 pieces
6 rashers pancetta or streaky bacon
2 large glasses rosé wine (or leftover sparkling pink prosecco)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Salt and pepper the pheasants.
- In the bottom of a large, cast-iron casserole, heat a glug of olive oil and brown the pheasants all over. Set aside.
- Tip in the lardons and fry until nearly crisp on a high heat.
- Add the onion, turn the heat down and cook for a few minutes, stirring continuously until soft.
- Add the garlic, a small scatter of sea salt, crushed juniper berries and peppercorns and cook for a further minute.
- Add the potatoes and stir it all together.
- Sit the pheasants on top and cover the breasts with the pancetta rashers or bacon.
- Heat the wine and pour it over.
- Put the lid on and place in the oven for 45 mins to an hour.