Beef, Pumpkin and Date Tagine
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, cut into wedges
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1kg beef, cut into 2cm pieces
4 cups (1L) beef or vegetable stock
500g pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 2cm pieces (or substitute with butternut squash)
100g fresh dates, pitted
150g Lebanese couscous
100g pkt toasted slivered almonds
½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion softens.
- Add the cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the beef and beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to very low and simmer, covered, for 1 1/4 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add the pumpkin and dates and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the couscous in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well. Add the almonds and coriander.
- Divide the couscous among serving bowls. Spoon over the beef tagine and serve immediately.