One Pot Lamb & Leek Casserole
By Riverford Organic Farms
400g leeks, cleaned & cut into 1-2 cm slices
1 onion, or a small handful shallots, peeled & chopped (leave the shallots whole or cut in half)
1 tbsp oil
750g stewing lamb, cubed
1 tbsp plain flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
750g potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
small handful chopped parsley
a few fresh thyme or rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or use 1 tsp dried)
600 - 700ml lamb, chicken or veg stock
salt + pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 2, 150°C, 300°F
- Melt half the butter in a large flameproof casserole dish. Add the leeks and onion, cook slowly for 10 mins.
- Remove the veg from the pot, add the oil and brown the lamb in batches.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute or two longer. Remove the lamb and keep to one side.
- Layer some of the potatoes (about half) in the bottom of the pan. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat, leeks and onions.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes on top, to cover.
- Sprinkle with herbs and pour over 600ml stock.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 2 hours. Check ¾ of the way through and add more stock if it looks to be drying out too much.
- After 2 hours, remove the lid, dot the potatoes with the rest of the butter and cook for another 30 mins, until the potatoes have browned.