Braised Oxtail in Red Wine
From Eversfield Organic
750g organic Oxtail
2 tbsps plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp oil
2 large onions, chopped
250 g carrots, sliced
300 ml red wine
600 ml beef stock
2 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
250 g button mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme (optional)
- Coat the oxtail in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or saucepan, add the oxtail and fry until evenly browned.
- Remove from the pan.
- Brown the onions and carrots, stirring in any remaining flour.
- Add the wine, stock, tomato puree and oxtail, stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and herbs, mix well and continue to cook for a further 1/2 hour.
Serve with seasonal organic vegetables.