Steak & Kidney Pie
From Riverford Organic Farms
1 tbsp oil for frying
450g mix of steak & kidney
1 large onion, peeled & finely sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
1 bay leaf
450ml beef stock
a splash of worcestershire sauce
For the pastry:
160g self raising flour
approx 75ml water, to mix
- Heat the oil and fry the steak until browned, in batches if necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon into a dish and keep to one side.
- Fry the kidney until browned, remove from the pan and reserve with the steak. Add a little more oil if needed, and fry the onion for a few mins to soften.
- Put all the meat back into the pan, stir in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for a couple of mins.
- Add the stock, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook for about 1½ hours.
- Check the meat is tender and cook for another half an hour if needed.
- Put the meat into a pie dish and reduce the sauce if necessary.
- To make the pastry, mix the flour, suet and some salt and pepper in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix in just enough cold water to bring the pastry together; it should be slightly sticky. Leave for 5 mins, then roll out to a thickness of about ¾-1cm.
- Wet the edge of the pie dish and lay the pastry on top, pressing down to seal. Make a small slit in the middle to let the steam out.
- Cook at 220˚C for about 40 mins, until the pastry is cooked through and turning golden.