Black Kale with Bacon, Garlic & Rosemary
Taken from Riverford Organic Farms
2-3 heads black kale (cavolo nero)
100-150g streaky bacon or pancetta (usually 4-6 slices), slivered
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
leaves from 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- Strip the kale from the stalks by holding the thick end of stalk and pulling off the green leaf in a single movement.
- Cook the leaves in boiling salted water for 3 mins, then drain and run under cold water to refresh.
- Squeeze out the water, chop the kale and keep to one side.
- Warm the oil in a large frying pan and add the bacon or pancetta.
- Fry gently until the fat starts to run, then add the garlic and rosemary.
- Fry a little longer until the garlic starts to colour, then add the chopped cooked kale.
- Cook for another 10-15 mins until kale is tender.
- Season well and serve.
Fry some diced boiled potato with the bacon for a more substantial dish.