Greek Lamb & French Bean Stew
Recipe taken from the allrecipes website
A simple, fresh and delicious taste of the Greek Isles!
2 tablespoons olive oil
500g lamb shoulder blade, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
125ml dry red wine
350g diced tomatoes
250ml lamb stock
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
500g fresh French / green beans, trimmed
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper, add to the pot, and cook until deeply browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Stir in the onions and garlic, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the wine into the pot, and bring to the boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomatoes, passata, lamb stock, lemon zest and juice, oregano, cinnamon and bay leaf. Bring back to the boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lamb is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the green beans and cook until they are tender, about 20 additional minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and any bones from the stew. Garnish stew with chopped fresh parsley.
Serve it over rice or orzo (rice-shaped pasta), with a nice tomato and cucumber salad and good bread.