2 pheasants – or 1 pheasant breast per person.
110g (4oz) unsmoked bacon, cut into 3 or 4 pieces
25g (1oz) butter or oil
225g (8oz) shallots
25g (1oz) flour
570ml (1 pint) good stock or chicken stock cube
2 tsps redcurrant jelly
100ml (4fl oz) white wine
8 whole field mushrooms
Salt & pepper
- Melt butter or oil in a large pan and brown the pheasants all over. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté the shallots and bacon. Remove from the pan.
- Add enough flour to the pan to take up the remaining juices. Mix well.
- Add the stock, season and bring to the boil to thicken.
- Return the pheasant to the pan.
- Add the shallots and bacon and cover.
- Cook in the oven at 160°C / 375°F / Gas 5 for approx 1 hour or until the juices run clear.
- Add the mushrooms about 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Serve with fresh vegetables and crème fraiche mixed with horseradish.