Cheesy Pork Chops With Onion Gravy & Parsnip Mash
By Packington Free Range
4 x 275g trimmed Packington Free Range Pork Chops
175g chive and onion double Gloucester cheese, grated
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1/2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large red onions, thickly sliced
400ml good beef stock
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp cornflour
350g parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
700g good mashing type of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tbsp creme fraiche
Fresh oregano leaves, to garnish
- Remove the pork chops from the fridge 1 hour before cooking - place on a plate and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Mix together the cheese, mustard, plain flour, oregano and seasoning - set aside.
- Melt 25g of the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onions over a medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened.
- Pour in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, stirring and simmer for 2 minutes - remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the cornflour in a small bowl and stir in 4-5 tbsp of the gravy until smooth.
- Pour back into the pan stirring constantly until blended.
- Return to the heat and bring back to the boil, stirring constantly, until required thickness - simmer for 1 minute.
- Cook the parsnips and potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Preheat the grill.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and fry the pork chops for about 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally until golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile drain the potatoes, add the creme fraiche, remaining butter and seasoning.
- Cover and bring the creme fraiche to the boil in the pan.
- Using an electric whisk or masher, mash the parsnip and potatoes, until smooth.
- Divide the cheese filling between the pork chops spreading over the meat evenly.
- Place under the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes, until golden.
Serve with mash and onion gravy spooned over. Scatter over fresh oregano leaves to garnish.