Pork Burgers with Sticky Pineapple and Chilli Salsa
By Lesley Waters, lovepork.co.uk
450g/1lb lean pork mince
75g fresh white breadcrumbs
4-6 spring onions, finely chopped
1tsp cracked black pepper
2tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 small egg, beaten
1tbsp olive oil + extra for drizzling
1 small country loaf
1 garlic clove, peeled
Baby salad leaves
For the roasted pineapple and chilli salsa:
1 small pineapple, peeled, halved, cored and chopped
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp runny honey
1 fresh red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Place the pork, breadcrumbs, spring onions, pepper, parsley and egg into a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into burgers - over and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- To make the salsa, preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas mark 6.
- Toss the pineapple, oil, honey, chilli and thyme together and place in a small roasting tray - cook for 20 minutes until sticky and lightly golden.
- Heat the grill or large frying pan.
- Drizzle the oil over the burgers and rub all over, then transfer to the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until really hot.
- Slice the country bread into 4 thick slices and lay in the hot griddle pan - cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and toasty.
- Rub each slice of bread with the garlic clove.
To serve, divide the garlic toasts between 4 serving plates and drizzle over a little extra oil. Top the garlic toasts with a handful of salad leaves, burgers and finish with a spoonful of salsa. Serve straight away with extra salsa along side.