Pumpkin Risotto with Pecorino
I'm trying out this pumpkin risotto recipe for Halloween - and using a pumpkin my 4 year old has grown!
Recipe taken from 'The Great Green Cookbook'
1 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots, chopped finely
250g risotto rice
500g pumpkin of squash, peeled & seeded, coarsely grated
1tsp powdered saffron
90ml dry white wine
750ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp dried oregano
50g pecorino, grated
salt & ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a casserole pan, and gently fry the shallots until tender but not browne
- Turn the heat up and add the rice, stirring until coated with oil.
- Add the grated pumpkin and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the saffron into the wine, and pour into the pan, stir until absorbed.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the stock a little at a time
- Half way through, add the oregano
- Cook until the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the grated pecorino
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I thought you would like to know that this recipe was a great success! My four year old really loved helping me make it, and my 18 month old ate loads of it with a "mmmmm" after each mouthful!
I didn't have any saffron, so I left it out and added a bit more wine! I also had to add quite a bit of extra water as the stock cooked down quite quickly.